Re: [ssm] IGMPv3/SSM API for Java ?

Well, I registered and voted for it; took about 3 minutes.

Regards
Marshall

On 4/30/05, James Lingard <James.Lingard@dataconnection.com> wrote:
> Toerless,
>=20
> I'm pretty sure you're right that there's no SSM API, though I can't conf=
irm that there's no implicit way of triggering (S,G) membership reports.  T=
he following RFE has been raised in Sun's Java bug database for this issue =
(though you may need to register in order to view this page):
>=20
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=3D4403551
>=20
> The standard way of encouraging Sun to get bugs fixed is for lots of peop=
le to vote for them.  See:
>=20
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/top25_bugs.do
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/top25_rfes.do
>=20
> I think they do actually pay attention to these.  Currently this RFE has =
only 2 votes (of which one is mine), but if we could encourage lots (i.e. >=
100) of IETF multicast folks to vote for this bug, something might happen :=
)
>=20
> Other than that, there is something called the Java Community Process (se=
e http://jcp.org/en/home/index) by which new APIs and language features are=
 often developed, although I'm no expert on how this works.
>=20
> It also seems that for the next release (J2SE 6.0), Sun are soliciting ex=
ternally contributed code (see http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArtic=
les/J2SE/peabody/).  So if there's someone out there with the time to work =
on this, this route may well be the fastest.